I see here that the British magazine, Sight & Sound, has come up with a “Critics’ Top 10 Films of All Time” list.
I used to fancy myself an auteur in college-took every film course I could, aspired to be a director (very funny, I know), wrote screenplays that never saw the light of day, even made a little three-minute film (in 16mm b&w) that was so bad and so unmemorable I forget what it was about.
Anyhow, I thought I knew something about film, particularly about film history. But this list–I have heard of half of the films listed. I do agree with their choices of the ones I’ve heard of or seen. See what you think:
10. 8 ½ Saw that in film class. Absolutely no idea what it was supposed to be about.
9. The Passion of Joan of Arc Heard of it. Think it’s a silent film.
8. Man with a Movie Camera Duh.
7. The Searchers Yes, yes, yes. John Ford and John Wayne. Wow!
6. 2001: A Space Odyssey For a long time, my favorite film until it was replaced by Forrest Gump. Absolutely trailblazing in so many ways.
5. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans Huh?
4. La Règle du jeu Think I saw this in French. No idea what it was about even after I saw it.
3. Tokyo Story Missed this one.
2. Citizen Kane Couldn’t agree more! An absolutely seminal film! Was #1 on this list for years.
1. Vertigo What a combination of directing, acting and suspense! Great choice for #1!
So, what’s in your wallet, I mean, on your list?